Pioneer Mentors program for 2019
Spend a week at the biggest, baddest, coolest computer graphics extravaganza IN THE WORLD. See the technology, techniques and tools used in visual effects and animated films, games, art and science.
You get to see and do it all with your own Pioneer Mentor – a senior industry pro along with a group of other students and their Mentors.
Spend a Week at SIGGRAPH
The 46rd annual SIGGRAPH conference is a five-day experience in the latest computer graphics and interactive techniques, including a three-day exhibition that attracts hundreds of companies from around the world. Every year 20,000 people from every state and over 75 countries attend. The conference also hosts the SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival, showcasing works from the world’s most innovative and accomplished creators including students. Check it out at SIGGRAPH 2019.
What a Student Receives
If you are selected, you will receive a full conference pass (value:?nearly $1900).?We also provide lunch vouchers for the food trucks. Unfortunately, we can’t provide housing or transportation, but we can assist you with finding carpools. You also get paired with a mentor who can help you navigate the conference as well as consider your course and career options.
How Students are Selected
You must be at least 18 years old as of July 27, 2019.? You will provide some basic information and email it to me at email@example.com.? The details are in the second attachment.
You do not have to be a “techie” as the conference also focuses on both the computer science and engineering as well as the art aspect.? However, you need to have at least a GPA of 2.0 or a “C”
The deadline for contacting me is May 1, 2019.?The deadline for applying is May 30.? You will be notified by June 10, 2019 if you have been selected.
Expectations for Selected Students
You commit to:
- Attend a full sampling of SIGGRAPH events, including important sessions on the first day.
- Use your mentor to learn more about the conference and the history and future of computer graphics.
- Write a reflection piece. After the conference, you will receive a set of questions asking you to summarize and reflect on your experiences. ?Here are last year’s essays:? Student Essays
How to Be a Mentor
If you are a SIGGRAPH member who would like to mentor a student at the annual conference, please contact the Chief Student Mentor.
Expectations for Selected Mentors
SIGGRAPH mentors must:
- Attend the conference.
- Share your email address with your student(s) before and after the conference.
- Meet with the student on a mutually arranged schedule during the conference.
- Receive the student summary and send it to the Chief Student Mentor with your remarks about your experience.
Feedback from past participants in the Spend a Week at SIGGRAPH program.